Policy Statement: Strauss Health Sciences Library offers reciprocal borrowing privileges to community members who are Colorado Libraries Collaborate! (CLC) program participants.
CLC applicants must have a picture I.D., proof of address and a current card from a participating CLC library.
- Acceptable forms of picture I.D.: driver’s license, passport, school I.D., or any other government-issued document showing a photo and borrower’s name.
- Acceptable forms of proof of address: driver’s license, check book, car registration, pay stub (with address), mail with a current postmark, bill, mortgage or lease agreement, or any “official” document with borrower’s name and current address.
- It is the CLC borrower’s responsibility to be in good standing at his/her home library. Cardholders not in good standing may not be eligible to borrow materials from Strauss HSL.
- CLC borrowers are responsible for understanding and abiding by the rules and policies of the Strauss Health Sciences Library. These policies may be found on this page and on the library's policies page. CLC cardholders may check out up to 10 items at a time, with two renewals permitted after the initial two-week checkout period.
- Please allow 3-5 days for verification of home library status. Upon verification, an Strauss HSL library card will be mailed to the address given on the account application.
- CLC borrowers are responsible for all materials checked out on their cards. Strauss HSL items returned via the CLiC courier system are the borrower’s responsibility until they arrive at the Strauss Health Sciences Library.
- Any materials borrowed by a CLC borrower are subject to Strauss HSL loan policies and due dates.
- CLC borrowers are allowed access to most Strauss HSL subscription databases from library computers.
- A parent or guardian’s signature is required on applications submitted by borrowers under age 16.
- An individual application is required of each borrower associated with a law firm or other business.
- Local public library definitions and policies on identification, circulation policies, loan periods, and returns may differ.
- Participating CLC libraries can be found in the Directory of Colorado Libraries, http://www.coloradovirtuallibrary.org/resource-sharing/clc/clc-member-libraries/.
Materials put on the hold shelf must be picked up within ten (10) days after you receive notification that they are on the hold shelf. After ten days they will be returned to the appropriate Prospector library or to their permanent location in the library.
PRIMARY AFFILIATED BORROWERS: The borrowing policies of the CU Anschutz Srauss Health Sciences Library are designed to permit equitable access to the library materials by primary affiliated borrowers. Secondary Patrons: Library privileges in the form of a free borrowing card may be granted to researchers, patrons from other University of Colorado campuses, or reciprocal institutions. You must fill out a library application, after which eligibility of the type of access will be reviewed by Access/Circulation staff.
Public Patrons: Colorado residents may apply for an Strauss Health Sciences Library borrowing account by presenting a current card from a CLC (Colorado Libraries Collaborate) library. A picture ID and proof of address are also required. CLC applications may take up to five business days to process.
A Colorado resident with no account with another CO library/CLC may purchase a borrowing card for $200.00 per year or $100.00 for a six month card.
View your Account
Once an account and library card is established with the Strauss Health Sciences Library, most members have access to their own Library Search library account to view a list of item/s checked out, due dates of items, renew materials, fines, the status of holds placed and items ready for pickup. Login with your University Credentials. More About University Credentials
Loan periods for most Circulating items - two weeks.
- 40 items may be borrowed by a patron at one time
- Users must have and present their University ID badge, driver's license or library card issued by The Strauss Health Sciences Library to checkout materials
- Desk staff may allow checkout to faculty and students who are regular customers and/or who can verify their identity without ID through patron record information such as ID number and month and day of birth
- Books may be renewed up to 10 times or a total of 20 weeks if no holds have been placed upon them. A hold request will honor the current loan period; further renewal is not allowed
- Journals from the 2nd floor circulate for two weeks to CU Anschutz faculty and students.
Loan periods for Reserve items typically are four hours on all the items are kept behind the Service Desk. These items can all be renewed unless there is someone waiting for them to be returned.
- books, videos, and DVDs
- audiovisual equipment such as laptops, white erase markers, and headphones and other gadgets
- Library copies on course reserve - usually books
- Instructors' personal copies on course reserve - usually books
- permanent reserves - special items Strauss Health Sciences chooses to keep behind service desk
- Bones and anatomy models, most of which are behind service desk but some in glass cases near the service desk
- More information about reserves | Information about the Student Textbooks Collection funded by the Academic Support Fee.
Non-Circulating items, such as Reference materials from of the 1st floor reference collection must be used within the library.
Access to items at the service desk for non-affiliated patrons
Items kept behind the customer service desk requested by a nonaffiliated patron who does not have a card, an application for a restricted card can be requested and filled out. This restricted card allows reserve items and audio visual items to be checked out and used within the library. This card does not allow the holder to take any materials out of the library.
You may visit or call the Customer Service Desk at 303-724-2152 to request renewal of your items.
Please renew or return items before their due dates to avoid fines.
Read about our Rapid Retrieval service to request HSL circulating items in Library Search to be pulled and held for pickup at our customer service desk. Some HSL items may not be available for request.
Reference books are non-circulating; they and some other materials must be used within the library.
- A book return is in the library on the first floor; pass the security gates and to your right is a slot in west end of the service desk.
- A book return box is outside the library entrance on the west side of the facility.
- An outside book return bin at our PASCAL facility on campus allows for a drive up and return option. That box is checked daily 5 days per week during normal business hours.
Questions about returning materials, call the service desk at 303-724-2152