Permanent Artifact Displays

Artifacts donated by Dr. Carl E. Bartecchi

Display of artifacts including old medicine bottles

Carl E. Bartecchi, MD, MACP, is a Distinguished Clinical Professor of Medicine with the University of Colorado School of Medicine and a longstanding donor to the Health Sciences Library.  His many gifts over the years include a significant history of medicine book collection, a wide array of medical artifacts and curiosities, photographs from his travels to South America and Southeast Asia, and financial support.

Located in the third floor Special Collections Room of the Strauss Health Sciences Library.

Traditional Chinese Medicine

Display of Chinese Medicine artifacts including dried herbs

An exhibit of a box of items used in traditional Chinese medicine is now on display. All the individual boxes are from a single pharmacy and contain dried items, used for a variety of ailments. The majority of the remedies in this box are for minor injuries and discomfort.

Located in the third floor Special Collections Room of the Strauss Health Sciences Library.

 

The History of...

The Denison Family

Display of Denison Family history artifacts including old medical devices

Dr. Charles Denison was a prominent Denver physician who also taught, did ground breaking research in climate and tuberculosis, and invented a stethoscope that became a standard in the early 20th century.  In 1924, his wife Ella Strong Denison, donated the funds to build a new medical library in his honor.  The Charles Denison Memorial Library was the health sciences library on the 9th Avenue University of Colorado Health Sciences Center campus until it closed in 2007, when the Health Sciences Library moved to the Anschutz Medical Campus.

Located on the First Floor of the Strauss Health Sciences Library.

Dr. Florence Sabin

Display of Sabin history including old diplomas

Dr. Florence Sabin’s connection to the University of Colorado was a long one. In 1937, she delivered the keynote address at the dedication of the Charles Denison, MD Memorial Library. On her 80th birthday, a wing of the original University of Colorado hospital was named in her honor.  When the new University of Colorado Hospital was built in 1962, the building became the University of Colorado School of Medicine. The auditorium that bore Dr. Sabin’s name was used by students until the day the 9th Ave campus was closed. Many of the artifacts displayed here were housed in the auditorium, and when the campus moved, they became a permanent part of the Strauss Health Sciences Library’s collection.

Located on the First Floor of the Strauss Health Sciences Library.

Exhibiting at the Library