The Strauss Health Sciences Library has an overall collections budget of nearly $3 million. Approximately, less than 1% is spent on one-time purchases while 99% is spent on electronic (e.g. journals, databases, etc.) annual subscriptions. In a given fiscal year (July 1 through June 30), we expect our subscription costs to rise by approximately 5-7%.
We take the following approaches to cut collection cost:
- Negotiate with publishers for lower annual price increase
- Enter into a multi-year contract for a committed lower cost
- Switch to different journal access model
- Cost-sharing with other CU libraries
- Cancel subscriptions
The Strauss Library needs to cut approximately $300,000 in FY20.
Based on pricing, usage, and feedback received from the FY20 Collections survey, we have canceled the following resources:
- American Physical Society (APS) Journals
Individual Journal Titles
- Journal of Neurotrauma