On this webpage you will find information regarding library holds, library accounts and cards, borrowing privileges, resource loan periods and renewal information, our Rapid Retrieval Service and returning resources to the library.
Materials put on the hold shelf must be picked up within ten (10) days after you receive notification that they are on the hold shelf. After ten days they will be returned to the appropriate Prospector library or to their permanent location in the library.
Library Accounts, Card, Applying for Privileges
- Primary affiliated borrowers: The borrowing policies of the CU Anschutz Strauss Health Sciences Library are designed to permit equitable access to the library materials by primary affiliated borrowers.
- Secondary Patrons: Library privileges in the form of a free borrowing card may be granted to researchers, patrons from other University of Colorado campuses, or reciprocal institutions. You must fill out a library application, after which eligibility of the type of access will be reviewed by Access Services staff. Access the Strauss Library account application here.
- Public Patrons: Colorado residents may apply for a Strauss Health Sciences Library borrowing account by presenting a current library card from a Colorado Libraries Collaborate! (CLC) library. A picture ID and proof of address are also required. CLC applications may take up to five business days to process. Access more information here about the Colorado Libraries Collaborate! program.
- Other options: A Colorado resident without an account at another CO library/CLC may purchase a borrowing card for $200.00 per year or $100.00 for a six month card.
View your Account
Once an account and library card is established with the Strauss Health Sciences Library, most members have access to their own Library Search account to view a list of item/s checked out, due dates of items, renew materials, fines, the status of holds placed and items ready for pickup. Login to your Library Search account with your University Credentials.
Loan periods for most circulating items - two weeks.
- 40 items may be borrowed by a patron at one time,
- Users must have and present their University ID badge, driver's license or library card issued by the Strauss Health Sciences Library to checkout materials,
- Service Desk staff may allow checkout to faculty and students who are regular customers and/or who can verify their identity without ID through patron record information such as ID number and month and day of birth,
- Books may be renewed up to 10 times or for a total of 20 weeks if no holds have been placed upon them. A hold request will honor the current loan period; further renewal is not allowed,
- Journals from the 2nd floor circulate for two weeks to CU Anschutz faculty and students.
Loan periods for Reserve items typically are four hours on all the items are kept behind the Access Desk. These items can all be renewed unless there is someone waiting for them to be returned.
Examples of items available on reserve for loan:
- Books, videos, and DVDs,
- Audiovisual equipment such as laptops, white erase markers, and headphones and other gadgets,
- Library copies on course reserve - usually books,
- Instructors' personal copies on course reserve - usually books,
- Permanent reserves - special items Strauss Health Sciences chooses to keep behind service desk,
- Bones and anatomy models, most of which are behind service desk but some in glass cases near the service desk.
Find information about the Student Textbooks Collection funded by the Academic Support Fee.
Non-Circulating items, such as Reference materials from of the 1st floor reference collection must be used within the library.
Access to items at the service desk for non-affiliated patrons
Items kept behind the service desk requested by a nonaffiliated patron who does not have a card, an application for a restricted card can be requested and filled out. This restricted card allows reserve items and audio visual items to be checked out and used within the library. This card does not allow the holder to take any items out of the library.
Books and other items may be renewed online using your University Credentials. Renew items here.
You may visit or call the Service Desk at 303-724-2152 to request renewal of your items.
Please renew or return items before their due dates to avoid fines.
Request Hold and Pickup Service - Rapid Retrieval Service
The Rapid Retrieval Service allows users to request Strauss Library circulating items in Library Search to be pulled and held for pickup at our service desk. Some Strauss Library items may not be available for request. Click here to read more about our Rapid Retrieval service.
Reference books are non-circulating; they and some other materials must be used within the library.
Returning Books - Book Return locations
- A book return is in the library on the first floor; pass the security gates and to your right is a slot in west end of the service desk.
- A book return box is outside the library entrance on the west side of the facility.
- An outside book return bin at our PASCAL facility on campus allows for a drive up and return option. That box is checked daily 5 days per week during normal business hours.
If you have questions about returning materials, contact us through AskUs or call the Service Desk at 303-724-2152.